Two positions available
- Start Date: Flexible, January 2018 - March 2018
- Reports to: SFEDA member organizations Start Small Think Big and Main Street Launch
- Duration and position type: 3-month internship
- Contact: Mauna Minagar, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Marketing Intern will help SFEDA to develop and implement its strategy around promoting both SFEDA and San Francisco’s small businesses.
SFEDA aims to generate support among politicians and the general public of small businesses, especially those being served by SFEDA, mostly consisting of minority-owned, woman-owned, low income-owned, legacy businesses, and start-up businesses. SFEDA also would like to improve the environment for doing business in San Francisco, such as affordable rents, market demand, and ease of permitting and regulations. SFEDA aims to do this by working with politicians on policies and resources that benefit small businesses, and by promoting small businesses to the general public. The Marketing Intern will help with these efforts by preparing information packets for politicians, and researching and preparing SFEDA marketing campaigns (such as lamppost banners, bus ads, Facebook ads, small business tours).
Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
- Develop strategies to help promote local small businesses and SFEDA to San Francisco politicians (e.g., city supervisors) and the general public.
- Interview San Francisco business owners and produce marketing content on those businesses in connection with their work with SFEDA organizations.
- Develop information packets for 2-3 City Supervisors around SFEDA’s work with small businesses in their districts, and collaboration opportunities for Supervisors and SFEDA to promote and support small businesses.
- Research marketing opportunities and develop content for SFEDA to promote its work and its small business clients (ads, tours, banners, tabling).
- Populate SFEDA social media pages and website with more content.
- Current undergraduate student or recent college graduate with strong interest in marketing, social media, communications, nonprofit collaborations, economic development, small businesses, or other related disciplines.
- High level of computer proficiency including familiarity with Google Applications, social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) and MS Office.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive community/economic development, social and economic justice work, and/or anti-poverty work;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management, and interpersonal skills;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, creative and self-motivated; a strong problem-solver and critical thinker;
- Strong ability to work independently and be proactive.
- Interest in building collaborations with politicians; and
- Experience working in low-income and/or immigrant communities preferred.
SFEDA will provide a $500 stipend. SFEDA anticipates the project to take 50 total hours over 3 months.
The Marketing Intern will gain valuable real-world experience and first-hand knowledge of small businesses and engaging with city politicians during their time with SFEDA. They will also learn firsthand the collaboration and partnerships that are made amongst community partners in order to create equitable economic development in a major city. The Intern will also have the opportunity to work out of desk space at the offices of the various 16 SFEDA member organization locations.
To apply, please contact Mauna Minagar at email@example.com.